Cold oatmeal? Cold oatmeal.

Follow Table for 1 on Pinterest

Follow Table for 1 Spotify List

Here we are again... a Sunday night and Monday will be here before we know it.

As I referred to in last week's blog post, Sunday nights are (in theory) reserved for me to clean, do laundry and do some meal prep for the week. As of 7 p.m. on Sunday, I've done the smallest amount of all of that to make me feel better about myself.

Oh, and write this awesome blog. Which, you should TOTALLY share with your friends if you so feel desired.

The meal I struggle with the most is breakfast. Generally I wake up too late, don't want to eat crap, but usually end up in the McDonald's drive thru because it's cheap and easy.

Side note: if they want people to start eating better in this country they need to quit making Sausage McMuffins $1. Just saying.

Back to the point...

So, like I (and many of us) do when we want a new recipe, we go to Pinterest. And while perusing through breakfast recipes (really wishing I was looking up different ways to decorate my apartment that I'll never do), I stumbled upon a recipe for cold oatmeal. Or as some call it, overnight oatmeal.

Now some people have a strong opinion on oatmeal. I'm a fan. So I figured, why not. Also, it's so simple and easy to make I generally whip one up while dinner is cooking.

I made it the first time straight from the Pinterest recipe, and it was pretty good. But like all recipes, you want to tinker around with it until you find it just the way you like it. Below is how I made mine. Use if you want. Alter if you wish.

Now, I generally stick with peanut butter and banana, but I've had strawberry as well (sub the peanut butter for strawberry jelly/jam).

SINGLE PEOPLE INGREDIENT HACKS

Because if I didn't post this, this blog would be pretty pointless.

** When it comes to the yogurt, this is tricky. If you eat Greek yogurt a lot and feel like it's worth it to buy the tub of yogurt, you do you. However, I do not. Therefore, I buy the single serving (you can find them most of the time for $1 or less). Now, 1/3 of a cup still leaves some leftover, what do you do with it?

Simple: Make apple dip.

All you do is take the leftover Greek yogurt and put in a few spoonfuls of peanut butter. Mix it up. Boom. Apple dip.

** The oats. When you go to the grocery store and find them, you will realize that they are in a very large container. Even if you are feeding a house of four it looks like more than you could possibly ever eat, let alone being a single person.

Good news is that they don't go old. Like ever. OK they do, but not for a while. The tub I bought sometime a few months ago won't expire until 2018.

INGREDIENTS

  • One medium sized mason jar (helps keep it fresh longer)
  • One banana
  • 1/3 cup of vanilla Greek yogurt (you can use plain, but I like the added sweetness)
  • 1/3 cup of milk (I use skim. You can use whatever your household drinks)
  • 1/3 cup of old fashioned oats
  • Peanut butter to your liking (I generally scoop in about 2-3 tablespoons)
THE PROCESS
  • Break off the banana into pieces and mash them up (helps when combining later)
  • Add your oats, yogurt, milk and peanut butter
  • Stir up
  • Put in the refrigerator overnight
Let the oatmeal sit overnight and you have breakfast in the morning. It will last a few days in the fridge, but I wouldn't try much more after that. 

There's breakfast! Enjoy the week folks!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pinwheels = great lunch idea